Saturday, July 7, 2007

Steel Blue Veranda Nightgown (ROTS)



Padme wears this gown early in Revenge of the Sith. This is a simple, yet elegant gown, and the first one where we see her pregnant abdomen. I revised part of this costume from my original version to make it slightly more accurate...moved the position of the pearl strands and redid the back drape. However, I did not do the fancy stitching (fagoting) seen on the front of the original. I am still not 100% happy with the back drape, but it will do for now. Currently it is attached via hooks and eyes, and consistently falls off...so I will be stitching the drape directly onto the straps.

Pattern

McCall's 4995

Fabric/Accents

Casa Satin in Cornflower (JoAnn Fabrics)
Pre-strung pearls
Wreath-shaped rhinestone pin on front
Swarovski crystal closures on drape
Darice Jewelry Designer Acrylic Bead Assortment--Blue 1977-47
Silver rhinestone tiara

Here are the photos of my original gown. Here are the photos of the revised gown.



Updated 7/7/07:

I finally finished the revisions to this gown!! I added a light blue trim to the front and sides of the gown. This trim had the fancy stitching very similar to the fagoting stitching used on the original gown, so I couldn't refuse. I also revised the back drape...using three charms instead of two so that the fabric falls better. I also stitched the drape to the straps, which I also revised slightly.

I also made a Japor snippet out of Sculpey clay in tan. I then painted it with Folk Art Acrylic paint in Country Twill (602) and the grooves with Americana Acrylic Paint in a dark brown (color not indicated). I then sealed the paint with two coats of Folk Art Artists' Varnish Satin (885). For the chain I used a small-link silver chain by Blue Mountain...I had to cut this to size and add a clasp.


Here are the pics of the newly revised gown...and here is a pic of the Japor snippet I made!!

No comments: