Saturday, July 12, 2008
Tatooine Midriff Dress (AOTC)
Padme wears this dress when she accompanies Anakin back to Tatooine from the Naboo Lake Retreat. Upon their arrival to Mos Espa, we notice that she is wearing a cloak over this dress. However, she dons the cloak shortly after their arrival to the Lars homestead, and we see this beautiful, yet fairly simple dress.
The skirt appears to be a wrap-style skirt, but it is actually one piece that is gathered at the front waist. The piece that drapes in the center is actually part of the skirt. The top is a wrap-style top, with a hood and cape attached. She wears a simple, yet elegant headpiece with this dress.
Simplicity 4887(B): used for the base of the top. Required modifications to acquire the right look (see information below)
McCall's 3033(A): used as a base for the cape. Required slight modifications to acquire the correct look
Simplicity 5914(A): for the skirt. Only slight modifications required on this one.
Light blue interlock knit (JoAnn Fabrics) was used for the main part of the top, cape, hood, and skirt.
Powder Blue Casa Satin (JoAnn Fabrics) was used as a lining
Gray Silk Charmeuse (Fashion Fabrics Club) for the piping
3/16" chain with bead (JoAnn Fabrics)
For the top, I used the Simplicity pattern as a base, cutting out two tops so as to achieve the look of an "under-top" with a wrap around over that. I then used the McCall's pattern as a base for the cape, trying to figure out how to connect that to the hood and actual top. What I ended up doing was making an under-top of sorts that I split up the front middle, connecting the halves with hooks and eyes. The wrap portion of the top was made to connect to the cape...and connects to the back of the under-top with hooks and eyes (I apologize now for not having a diagram or sketch to illustrate this...it just took trial and error along with time and patience). I piped the edges of the cape, hood, and upper wrap portion of the top with some left-over purple cording (from the Loyalist Committee Gown) and the gray charmeuse. The silver design on the back of the cape was hand-painted onto the fabric. The beads at the base of the hood are attached to a triangular shaped piece of fabric that then snaps onto the hood.
I cut the front skirt panel slightly wider than the original pattern so that the fabric could be gathered. I had some problems with this, but did end up with a slightly gathered look in the front. For the "panel" that drapes down the front, I gathered the fabric so that it would drape with a triangle at the top, and then tacked the edges of the "falling" piece down. The beads are attached to a triangular piece of fabric that snaps onto the skirt (for washing purposes).
I used gray craft foam for the headpiece. I traced the pattern out onto paper, cut out the holes, and then traced that onto the foam. After I did that, I cut out the holes and then cut, shaped, and hot-glued the pieces together. Several coats of silver spray paint were needed to achieve the "metallic" look.
Here are some pics of the headpiece...and here are some of the finished costume.