Saturday, December 15, 2012

Green Velvet Robe (ROTS)

Padme wears this gown in a cut scene from Episode III and in a scene known as "Padme's Ruminations."  I always loved the simple, yet elegant design of this gown.  As a note, I started this gown back in December/January of 2007-2008, so some of the materials I used may no longer be found.  I will do my best to report what I remember from the construction of this gown:  the patterns used, the fabrics used, etc.


PATTERN

I used a combination of the following patterns for the base of the gown:

McCall's 4490
Simplicity 4508

I constructed a mock-up of the gown using the patterns referenced above.  From there I made the cuts along the lines where the seams were to be located so that I would have my pattern pieces.  For the sleeves, I essentially lengthened the sleeves from the pattern above and made a few minor changes to the angles of those sleeves.

FABRIC

Iridescent Silk Velvet in "spice"(Thai Silks) for the outer gown.

Silk Habotai in a light purple/lilac (Thai Silks) for the lining.

Silk Taffeta in purple (Thai Silks) for the sash.

Silk Charmeuse in a toffee/spice (Thai Silks)

Diamond patterned home dec fabric for the sleeve lining (cannot remember where I got this)


BROOCH

Iris beads in brown from JoAnn Fabrics

Clear brown beads from JoAnn Fabrics


The particular velvet I used was the one that gave me the closest look I was trying to accomplish...a brownish color in darker light and a yellow-green color in brighter light.  It is definitely not the green that many use for this costume...but it resembles the colors seen in the movie in different lighting.  I used left-over cording from my Loyalist Committee Gown and covered it in the charmeuse to create the piping around the sleeves.

For the Naboo symbols on the gown, I used FiberEtch to "burn" the symbols into the silk velvet.  I followed the directions on the bottle and the information provided on Padawan's Guide, and it was relatively easy...however time-consuming.

I was finally able to get some photos of me in the costume at a recent event!!  I truly hope they look ok :)  I have gained some weight since having my son almost 3 years ago, and it has been very difficult to lose it.  I have become very self-conscious about it, since I truly did not realize how much I have put on until I saw some pictures of me recently.  I do hope you all understand :)

2 comments:

Amanda said...

What a beautiful costume! I want to try something similar this year, so I'm going to refer to this blog often!

PadmeSkywalker said...

Thank you so much!

Feel free to post any questions, and I will do my best to answer them in a timely manner. Best of luck on your project!